Does Your Boiler Need Repair? Top Signs That Indicate it’s Time to Fix it Up
The team at NYC Plumbing Service has been happy to provide top-notch services to all of New York City’s 5 boroughs for decades. From simple snake jobs to more complicated procedures like chimney repair or heating installations, we take pride in providing our customers with top-notch services at all times of the year. Now that winter is here, one of the most common calls we get have to do with people’s boilers. This is not a fun time of year for your boiler to go on the fritz! Whether you are dealing with your home or a commercial business, it is vital that your heating system be up and running. Your boiler is the heart of your heating system, so it is imperative that it is functioning properly. If it isn’t working correctly, the consequences can range from uncomfortable to unsafe. Listed below are 7 of the top warning signs that indicate you need to call NYC Plumbing Service to get your boiler repaired as soon as possible.
- What is That Strange Smell?
If you are noticing an odd smell coming from your basement, it could be a sign that your boiler needs to be repaired. If the odor is reminiscent of a rotten egg, or of a metallic scent, it could indicate a gas or oil leak. This could lead to serious danger for anyone present in your house, or even the house itself. Carbon monoxide may be odorless but, thankfully gas suppliers add a sulfur smell to gas to make leaks more noticeable. If you notice any of these, or similar odors coming from your boiler, call NYC Plumbing Service immediately.
- Someone Looks Like They Haven’t Aged Well None of us are getting any younger, and that is certainly true of your boiler as well! Over time it is perfectly natural for boilers to show normal signs of wear and tear. A good boiler can work up to 100 years if maintained properly, but that is up to its owner. Over the years, it will need routine repairs. If you notice signs of damage, rust, or general disrepair, call NYC Plumbing Service to assess the situation. You may need to have new tubes installed, or even steel sections replaced. We can certainly take care of any of your issues quickly, so your home will be as warm and cozy as you like it for the rest of the winter.
- Trouble With the Power Supply When you flip the switch, your boiler should start to run immediately. If you turn your boiler on and it fails to start running, there is likely a problem with its power supply. Before panicking, check for any blown fuses. If that doesn’t work, have one of our technicians come to your home to check it out for you. A busted power supply could spell major trouble for your boiler, but is also a major safety hazard for your home and your family.
- Delays With Heat Kicking In When your unit functions properly, you should notice heat production practically immediately after switching the boiler on. If it takes a long time for your unit to produce heat, you may have a circulation issue. You may also notice that your unit shuts off frequently and without warning to avoid overheating. Sometimes this issue responds to a single repair, but it may also indicate the need for a newer, more efficient model.
- The House Just Isn’t Warm Enough Everything seems to be working just fine with your boiler, but your home never seems to reach the correct temperature. This could be an indication of a heat delivery issue. Sometimes this stems from a buildup in the tank of the boiler. Other times it may be a short circuit in the thermostat. Be sure to check your thermostat settings when your boiler is running. If your home fails to reach the proper temperature repeatedly, it is time to give NYC Plumbing Service a call!
- Watch Out for That Puddle! If you are standing in a puddle of water when you are near your boiler, call us in immediately! A leaking boiler poses a high risk of bursting which could cause serious home damage as well as injuries. If your boiler is leaking, it will also burn up significantly more energy to run. Do not take the chance with water forming around your boiler. It is imperative that you play it absolutely safe by calling NYC Plumbing Service right away!
- Things That Go Bump in the Night Sometimes you may notice some strange noises in your home in the middle of the night. Is your home haunted? If not, these strange noises could be another that your boiler needs to be checked by one of the experts at NYC Plumbing Service. If you have been convinced that the noises are not ghosts, but in fact coming from your boiler, let us know what you have been hearing. Common boiler sounds include clunks, thumps, whirrs, or whistles. These are all early indicators of your unit being in a state of disrepair. The noises could indicate a few different things. The problem could be anything from a broken heat pump to a damaged heat exchanger. Strange noises could also mean that the system is blocked because there is sediment buildup. Since these are all early indications that your boiler needs to be serviced, the jobs are not all that difficult. Be sure to call us sooner rather than later.
The professional plumbers at NYC Plumbing Service strongly advise that you pay attention to how your boiler is working. The smallest changes could indicate the greatest mechanical issue, especially in older models. Catching signs early is bound to save you a great deal of time, not to mention money on repairs. If you suspect that your boiler may need to be repaired, do not hesitate to call NYC Plumbing Service anytime to come in and provide you an estimate. We want to make sure you and your family are safe and warm for winter and the whole year round!